"The Lord is my Rock and my Fortress and my Deliverer." Psalm 18:2
How many times in a lifetime do we need a Deliverer? I believe more often than we know.
At Christmas we were travelling from BC Canada, to Alberta (about a 8 hour drive) to share the holidays with family. With snow piled high on both sides of the highway we were well aware of winter conditions, but the roads looked deceptively dry. Out of nowhere we hit a patch of black ice. That song by Carrie Underwood "Jesus Take the Wheel," became a reality. We fishtailed into on-coming traffic with a semi bearing down. In the nick of time the tires caught traction and my husband was able to swerve back into our lane. My daughter screamed, my son grunted, my lips prayed, my husband kept his wits and Jesus took the wheel. Our Deliverer saved the day from a nasty accident.
Kind David used the name Deliverer many times in the Psalms. He knew and had tested the truth that God truly was his Deliverer. As a shepherd boy God had saved him from the mouth of lions and from the claws of bears. Therefore, when he stood before Goliath the Philistine giant he could confidently proclaim. "You come to me with a sword, with a spear, and with a javelin. But I come to you in the name of the Lord of hosts … This day the Lord will deliver you into my hand." 1 Samuel 17:45,46
Then later as the seed of jealousy rooted and grew inside King Saul because David's popularity grew and his diminished, God again saved David from King Saul. David had to flee, hide in caves and live with the threat of death. Life was not good. Yet, David understood who his Deliverer was. 2 Samuel 22:1-3 "Then David spoke to the Lord the words of this song, on the day when the Lord had delivered him from the hand of all his enemies, and from the hand of Saul. And he said: The Lord is my rock and my Fortress and my Deliverer; The God of my strength, in whom I will trust.
So I ask you,
- What is your sorrow?
- Who do you need deliverance from?
- Where do you find peace in the midst of trial?
- When will your sorrow end?
- Why did this happen?
Are you grieving a loss? Is your marriage in shambles? Have your children gone wayward? Are you struggling financially? Are you lonely? Are you sick? Have you been given only so many days to live? Do you struggle with a sin you want deliverance from?
I do not know your story, nor the who, what, where, when or why, but I do know the how.
God your Deliverer is the "how" to make it through. As He was with David, and as He was with me when my life unravelled, He will be with you. He may not deliver you from every sorrow, but He will give you the strength to walk thru.
You don't have to find the words, just pray these verses this next week, for when you are weak, He is your Deliverer.
- Ps. 40:17 "But I am poor and needy; Yet the Lord thinks upon me, You are my help and my Deliverer; Do not delay, Oh my God."
- Ps. 144:1-2 "Blessed be the Lord my Rock … my lovingkindness and my fortress, My high tower and my Deliverer, My shield and the One in whom I take refuge."
If it is sin that holds you captive, pray this prayer and claim the victory.
- Rom. 11:26 "The Deliverer will come out of Zion, And He will turn away ungodliness … take away our sins." Just as this verse promised, Jesus our Deliverer did come, and He died on the cross for our sin and failure. His death, and resurrection sealed our victory. Sin has no power. Death has no sting. Life everlasting is our heritage and reward to each and every believer.
Oh, come our Deliverer, give power, give strength, for we live in a sin-sick world where hurt and failure cause great pain. For the wounded and the weary, carry them I pray … carry them thru. Give them the hope they need to know that life will not always be as painful as it is today. Let them know your healing is possible. Wrap your arms around them, our Deliverer. Amen
If you are struggling to believe, listen to this incredible song of encouragement called Even If, by Mercy Me.
All Scripture taken from the NKJV
Other Names of God that may encourage you can be found on the following dates.
1) Elohim-God - October 1, 2018
2) Abba Father - October 15, 2018
3) El Shaddai - October 22, 2018
4) The Truth - October 28, 2018
5) The Alpha & Omega - Nov. 5, 2018
6) Jehovah-Shalom - Nov. 12, 2018
7) God of All Comfort - Nov. 19,2018
8) The Rock - Nov. 26, 2018
9) Our Maker - Dec. 3, 2018
10) Our Defender - Dec.10, 2018
11) Immanuel - Dec. 17, 2018
12) The Bread of Life - Jan. 7, 2019
13) Jehovah-Nissi - Jan. 14, 2019
14) Jehovah-Rohi - Jan. 21, 2019
15) The Lord Jehovah - Jan. 28, 2019
16 Deliverer - Feb. 4, 2019