I am in awe of the vast depth and intricate layers of the awesome God we serve. Journey with me as we learn another title of God together—opening the door of our mind to a deeper knowledge of His nature and character.
This week we'll explore the meaning of the title Adonai translated in the Bible as Lord in upper and lower case.This is not to be mistaken with the name translated LORD—Yahweh, all in capital letters which we will discuss at a later time.
Adonai means the Head or Lord over all—The Lord and Master—The Sovereign Lord. Duet. 10:17 "For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord (Adonai) of lords, a great God."
This title of God signifies ownership. Ownership of this world. Ownership of mankind. Ownership of all.
Whether mankind chooses to acknowledge that Adonai is Lord of all or not, Scripture reveals that one day every knee shall bow and tongue confess to God. Rom. 14:11
So, we can choose His lordship now, or be faced with it later, but if we do so willingly we will have help for today and great reward in eternity. Win. Win.
What do you conjure in your mind when you think of a servant or slave? Does your mind turn to the sordid reality of the here and now, children sold into a life of horrific degradation within the world of sex trafficking? Possibly your mind travels back to the 1800's (the photo above) to the era of slavery where black people were owned and treated as no more than animals, or much further back to the days of ancient Persian, Roman, or Mongol Empires where survival of the fittest ruled and the weaker served?
I would like you to throw that imagery away and instead think of being a willing slave, an enthusiastic servant, a beautiful creation set apart for a specific work. For this is the kind of servant you are in the hands of Adonai. I want you to embrace a Good King, a Righteous Ruler, our Lord-Adonai who has your best interests in mind.
It's easy to accept the sovereignty of God when life is good, but what about when it is not? I'll be the first to admit I have wrestled with, and questioned the sovereignty of God, but I have learned through suffering that something powerful happens when surrender is given to the Lord of my life Adonai.
Here are just a few examples to encourage. These patriarchs accepted Adonai's sovereignty and received all the strength they needed to do the impossible. Are you facing the impossible today? If so, I would encourage you to read these stories and be encouraged.
- Abram received a child at one hundred, and the promise of a nation. Gen. 21
- Moses cried out that he was not a leader, but he led. Exodus 3
- Gideon trembled in weakness and yet rose a warrior. Judges 6
- David, the shepherd boy faced a giant. 1 Samuel 17
- Daniel faced the lions' den in Daniel 6.
- Paul the murderer of saints did an about face and declared himself a bondservant of Christ (Rom. 1:1) and a slave of God. (Rom. 6:22) Slaves for God do what? Out of our love for Adonai we serve. We reach out to the lost, feed the hungry, help the poor, visit the sick. We are slaves that are called heirs, sons and daughters. Gal. 4:7 "Therefore you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.
- Even Jesus the son of God did not please himself but pleased God. (Rom. 15:3, John 8:29). "The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many."
Oh the joy to be a faithful servant of Adonai, a God so loving and kind. Let us look forward to that glorious day when we as saints shall hear ... "Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your Lord." Matthew 25:23
I leave you now with the Araonic blessing found in Numbers 6:24-26 the only blessing that the LORD gives directly to all who are His children. Don't miss this part. Take two minutes, click on this site, shut your eyes and be blessed by the mighty God we serve.
The aaronic blessing by Jonathan Cahn
All Scripture taken from the NKJV
Other Names of God that may encourage can be found on the following dates.
1) Elohim-God - October 1, 2018 2) Abba Father - October 15, 2018 3) El Shaddai - October 22, 2018 4) The Truth - October 28, 2018 5) The Alpha & Omega - Nov. 5, 2018 6) Jehovah-Shalom - Nov. 12, 2018 7) God of All Comfort - Nov. 19,2018 8) The Rock - Nov. 26, 2018 9) Our Maker - Dec. 3, 2018 10) Our Defender - Dec.10, 2018 11) Immanuel - Dec. 17, 2018 12) The Bread of Life - Jan. 7, 2019 13) Jehovah-Nissi - Jan. 14, 2019 14) Jehovah-Rohi - Jan. 21, 2019 15) The Lord Jehovah - Jan. 28, 2019 16) Deliverer - Feb. 4, 2019 17) Spirit of the Living God - Feb. 11, 2019 18) Jehovah-Rophe Part 1 - Feb. 18, 2019 19) Jehovah-Rophe Part 2 - Feb. 25, 2019 20) King of Kings -Mar. 4, 2019 (21) Adonai - March 11, 2019