The Bread of Life
THERE IS POWER IN THE NAME.
And Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life." John 6:35
Bread. My favourite. Give me a choice between a fresh slice of bread with butter and a decadent dessert, and I will go for the bread any day, all day long. In fact, the extra ten pounds I cart around can be attributed to my love of bread. It stands to reason then, that John chapter six is one of my favourites. Let me explain.
The chapter starts out with Jesus feeding a great multitude (5000) famished people with two small fish and yup, bread—five barley loaves (a staple of that day). The crowd had followed Jesus up the mountain in search of the miraculous with no thought for food. Hunger set in.
Jesus satisfied the body with physical bread before he taught about bread for the soul. This is a good template for us. Feed that hungry soul before sharing the goodness of God. Show, then tell.
Four times in this chapter Jesus uses the imagery of bread to describe how He is nourishment to the soul, as bread is nourishment to the body. In other words, He really wants us to understand this concept.
- John 6:32 True Bread from heaven and verse 58. "This is the bread which came down from heaven—not as your fathers ate the manna, and are dead. He who eats this bread will live forever."
- John 6:33 "For the Bread of God is He who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world."
- John 6:35 Jesus said, "I am the Bread of Life." V.47 & 48 "Most assuredly, I say to you, He who believes in Me has everlasting life. I am the Bread of Life."
- John 6:51 "I am the Living Bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever."
How easy it is for me to sit down in the morning with my toast and coffee, and gobble my bread down wanting more. I do not become distracted, or bored, or leave the plate half finished.
How much more does the True Bread of Life deserve my attention, my desire, my time? So, I ask myself, if I'm not spending quality time with the Bread of Life each day, how is my soul doing?
Henry Gariepy in 100 Portraits of Christ sums up this name of God beautifully. "Only Christ, who is the Bread of Life, can satisfy the deepest hunger and yearning of the soul."
A Prayer for you to pray using these four wonderful Names of God.
Dear Bread from Heaven feed my soul so that I am not spiritually hungry or suffer from malnutrition. Oh, Bread of Life, as this new year unfolds come to me in all your fullness and nourish my soul so that I might encourage another. Bread of God, smother that butter on and let me feast upon your goodness, your gifts, your blessings, so that I may bless others. Thank you, dear Living Bread, for the incredible gift of life eternal. I love you. I praise you. I lift my heart to you oh True Bread from Heaven. Amen
Photo taken by Diann Turner (Thanks dear cousin.)
All Scripture taken from the NKJV
Other Names of God:
1) Elohim-God - October 1, 2018
2) Abba Father - October 15, 2018
3) El Shaddai - October 22, 2018
4) The Truth - October 28, 2018
5) The Alpha & Omega - Nov. 5, 2018
6) Jehovah-Shalom - Nov. 12, 2018
7) God of All Comfort - Nov. 19,2018
8) The Rock - Nov. 26, 2018
9) Our Maker - Dec. 3, 2018
10) Our Defender - Dec.10, 2018
11) Immanuel - Dec. 17, 2018
12) The Bread of Life - Jan. 7, 2019
When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.