How do I NOT be Afraid?
I find it amazing how the Spirit of God leads and speaks. I was contemplating which title of God to expound upon and the verse in Revelation 1:8 kept coming to mind. I am the Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the End," says the Lord, who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.
In this one verse alone, there are seven ways in which to address God in prayer.
- I Am March 18, 2019
- Alpha Nov. 5, 2018
- Omega Nov. 5, 2018
- Beginning Nov. 5, 2018
- End Nov. 5, 2018
- Lord Jan. 28, 2019
Look at how many different characteristics that are revealed in this one short verse. How enriched our prayer life can become from meditating upon and praying each one of these beautiful names. (This means to stop everything and think upon and give God the glory and praise for what each title means.) But when I went over each title, I realized I had expounded on most of these before as the dates beside each one indicates and wondered why I was drawn to this section of Scripture.
Then my eyes fell on Revelation 1:17 & 18 and I knew.
This blog is written today for those who are afraid, for those who find themselves in circumstances way beyond their control.
I know in this context Jesus was talking to the apostle John, and I too, would be falling on my face with knees knocking together if Jesus appeared before me, but let's make this personal. Do not be afraid is a message for all of us penned many times throughout the Scripture. Read Ps. 27:1, Prov. 24:-26, Is. 8: 12-14, Matt. 14:27, Mark 5:36. This is just a sampling. Go to your concordance and feast upon this truth.
But … you say, I have reason to fear. I can't pay my bills. I have cancer. I am all alone. My marriage is crumbling. My teenager is into drugs. My adult children's lives are falling apart. My child died, and now I am gripped with fear that this will happen to my other children, my grandchildren. I lost my job. I failed my final.
Yes. There are many things to fear.
But here comes the hope. Here comes the take-away. Here comes the truth.
The rest of that verse sums up the whole of life. Jesus said, "John do not be afraid." But I want you to put your name in John's place. I want you to imagine Jesus at your side right now.
- "I Am the First," He says. This means He existed before time, before this crazy world began, and before your life unfolded.
- "I Am the Last," He declares. This means He will always be, long after you and I come and go.
You rightly ask, how does this help me? This is where the Scripture gets really interesting.
- "I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen.
If we stop a moment and think, really think about what this means. WOW! Jesus lived, He died for our sins, but BEHOLD He is alive forevermore. With that kind of power cradling us, why are we afraid?
I have many wheels turning in my life right now, with uncertainties and sorrows, so I do not speak lightly, or without understanding. God is asking me to trust Him as He is asking you to do the same. He's got this my friend. Let's pray this verse together all week, with our name inserted.
"Do not be afraid____________; I Am the First and the Last. I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen."—so be it!
Listen to this amazing song by The Afters, called "I will Fear No More."
- All Scripture taken from the NIV
- Other Titles of God that may encourage can be found on the following dates.1) Elohim-God - October 1, 2018 2) Abba Father - October 15, 2018 3) El Shaddai - October 22, 2018 4) The Truth - October 28, 2018 5) The Alpha & Omega - Nov. 5, 20186) Yahweh-Shalom - Nov. 12, 2018 7) God of All Comfort - Nov. 19,2018 8) The Rock - Nov. 26, 2018 9) Our Maker - Dec. 3, 2018 10) Our Defender - Dec.10, 2018 11)Immanuel - Dec. 17, 2018 12) The Bread of Life - Jan. 7, 2019 13) Yahweh-Nissi - Jan. 14, 2019 14) Yahweh-Rohi - Jan. 21, 2019 15) The Lord - Jan. 28, 2019 16) Deliverer - Feb. 4, 2019 17) Spirit of the Living God - Feb. 11, 2019 18) Yahweh-Rophe Part 1 - Feb. 18, 2019 19) Yahweh-Rophe Part 2 - Feb. 25, 2019 20) King of Kings -Mar. 4, 2019 (21) Adonai - March 11, 2019 (22) I AM WHO I AM - Yahweh, March 18, 2019 (23)The God of Love and Peace-Mar.25, 2019 9 (24) Elohim-a prayer from Daniel 2, April 1, 2019, (25) The Lamb - April 8, 2019 (26) The Savior - April 15, 2019 (27) Yahweh - April 29, 2019 (28) Spirit of Wisdom and Revelation - May 13 ,2019 (29) Jehovah or Yahweh? - May 20, 2019 (30) Bright and Morning Star - May 27,2019 (31) Sovereign LORD - June 3, 2019 (32) God of Hope - June 10, 2019 (33) The Bridegroom - June 17,2019 (34) The God of Glory - June 24.2019 (35) Prayer - July 1,2019 (36) Yahweh Shammah - July 22,2019 (37) Creator of Heaven and Earth - Aug. 5,2019, (38) Friend - Aug. 19, 2019 (39) Wonderful Counselor - Sept. 2, 1-2019 (40) Faithful and True - Sept.23,2019 (41) Light of the World -October 7,2019, 42) The Way, The Truth, The Life,-Oct. 21, 2019 43) The First & The Last - Nov. 4, 2019
When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.